Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's NOT the pits ... it's the air!

When I'm not sewing or working on the computer, I'm usually cooking.  I just have to share this great discovery ....

Yesterday I made some guacamole out of an avocado that was at just the perfect degree of ripeness ... and the guacamole was soooo good ..l but I couldn't eat it all.  I've always heard that if you put the avocado pit in the guac it will keep it from turning brown.  I also used freshly squeezed lime juice from half a lime so the citrus will help with that too (not to mention the flavor!)

Based on something I had discovered (or read somewhere, been doing it so long I don't remember) that I do to keep ice cream fresh (ie no ice crystals or turning gummy), I decided to put some plastic wrap over the guacamole and put it into the refrigerator to try to save it to eat today.

When I opened the refrigerator this morning to make breakfast, here's what my bowl of guacamole looked like (about 12 hours after I first made it) --



Nice and green ... not brown at all!  You see the secret is not the plastic wrap itself, but to put it directly on the guacamole and not across the top of the bowl.  It kept out all the air.  It may be a little messy when I take it off but that's better than wasting all that good yummyness (or is it yumminess?)  If you notice, I purposely left out the pit to test my method.

Bon appetit!  I guess it would be more appropriate to say ¡buen provecho

No comments: