Sunday, November 1, 2009

Preparing Fabrics, Cutting, and Marking

These topics are covered extensively in Chapters 4 & 5 of the Bishop textbook.

I know that it seems like the goal today is to do things better & faster ... but sometimes faster is not better if you skip these steps.

In fact, I think I take more time preparing my fabrics (prewashing, making sure the fabric is not pulling off the straight of grain), laying out the pattern (really watching that grainline!), and marking the pieces.

It really does cut down the construction time at the machine (not having to go back and look at the pattern for match marks) and affects the overall hang and fit of the garment.

Even when you have a pattern that fits, you can still do a lot to mess that up in the final result!

ok -- off that soapbox for now

anecdote -- I remember a time when I was a part of a group of 4 girls who needed matching dresses ... and we chose a pattern that would be floor length ... and fabric that was 1" gingham checks. Two of us were making our own dresses and two had a local seamstress do the sewing.

When I was laying out the pattern, my mom stopped me just before I cut the pieces and said that I needed to line up the rows of checks with the matching notch. I tried to argue with her that since it was checks it really didn't make any difference. HAH! You know I was wrong. She won and I unpinned and repinned, matched the notch, and then cut.

I was the only one who had beautifully matched chevrons at the side and front seams ... another lesson learned and remembered.

I've looked for a picture but can't find one -- and the dress has long ago gone to the Salvation Army donation bin.

No comments: